Applications and Selection...
Current sophomores enrolled in a Qualified Simon Scholar High School who meet the program's eligibility requirements may apply for the program mid-way through their sophomore year. Eligibility requirements include:
- Must be a current sophomore with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5
- Must be committed to pursuing a 4-year post-secondary degree at an accredited, degree-granting institution, beginning the semester immediately following high-school graduation
- Must agree to participate in a rigorous college access program and attend all mandatory events and activities
- Must be enrolled in a college preparatory program and on track to graduate on time and remain enrolled in a designated Simon Scholar High School
- Must demonstrate significant financial need
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must submit a completed application along with academic transcripts, two letters of recommendation, photograph, student essays and parental income verification (tax return).
Applicants are evaluated on the degree to which they meet the criteria above. Applicants are also evaluated on the quality of their applications, including the personal essay, recommendations and academic transcripts. Students who have overcome significant personal hardships are also given special consideration.
College Access Program...
- Direct support from and interaction with Simon Scholars Program administrators
- Cash stipend
- SAT- and/or ACT-prep courses and academic tutoring
- College tours
- College preparation coaching
- Life skills, leadership and teambuilding activities
- Community service activities
- Simon Scholars Awards Event which includes opportunities to network with the business community
- Mentoring opportunities
Requirements for a student to remain active in the high school program: students must achieve at least a 2.7 GPA for their first semester of their junior year then a 3.0 GPA for the following 3 semesters through graduation from high school, participate in required events, maintain good conduct and communicate frequently with Simon Scholars Program staff.
College Retention Program...
- $16,000 need-based scholarship to help meet unmet need after available grants and academic scholarships
- Preferential admission consideration, financial aid opportunities and college provided supportive services at colleges participating in the Collegiate Partner Program
- Opportunities to participate in community service activities
- Mentoring and internship opportunities
- Support from the Simon Scholars Program Member Network across the country
- Continued participation in Simon Scholars activities
- Alumni Association of Simon Scholars
Requirements for a student to remain active in the college program and receive funding during college: students must begin college the first semester following high school graduation, maintain full-time status (24 semester units per year or 36 quarter units per year), maintain at least a cumulative 2.0 GPA and remain in good standing with their institution. All students must provide required documentation electronically twice a year through the Simon Scholar Program student portal and request scholarship funding in a timely manner.